This column highlights some of the more notable recent internet notices, newsletters and blogs dealing with IP prosecution issues.
IPWatchdog – a patents and patent law blog – IPwatchdog.com
- The June 4, 2013 post states that the White House issued five executive actions and seven legislative recommendations designed to protect innovators from frivolous litigation and ensure the highest-quality patents in the U.S.
- On June 6, 2013, Ryan Cagle discusses the Patent Law Treaties Implementation Act of 2012 which modifies U.S. design patent law.
Patent Docs – A patent blog – patentdocs.typepad.com/patent_docs
- The June 5, 2013 post discussed proposed rule changes to implement the Patent Law Treaty (PLT).
- On July 1, 2013, Donald Zuhn describes reactoin to the Supreme Court’s decisionin AMP v. Myriad.
Spicy IP – An IP blog focusing on India – spicyipindia.blogspot.com/
- The June 20, 2013 guest post details the U.S. Supreme Court’s FTC v. Actavis decision regarding the legality of “reverse payment” settlements.
- A July 3, 2013 guest post by Smaran Shetty covers the U.S. Supreme Court’s Myriad decision.
- On July 5, 2013 the blog discussed Sun Pharma Global FZE’s declaratory judgment action against Novartis in the District Court of New Jersey.
Patently-O – a blog written by Dennis Crouch – www.patentlyo.com.
- The July 2, 2013 post discussed Fresenius USA v. Baxter Int’l, 2012-1334, -1335 (Fed. Cir., July 2, 2013), wherein a USPTO reexamination decision trumped earlier decisions by both the District Court and the Federal Circuit.
- A post on July 8, 2013 by Professor Crouch described the backlog of ex parte appeals before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
USPTO – the PTO’s website – uspto.gov
- In a June 5, 2013 press release, the USTPO announced that the Korean Intellectual Property Office (KIPO) will begin to classify some of its patent publications using the CPC jointly managed by the USPTO and the EPO.
- In the June 11, 2013 Official Gazette, the USPTO announced the modification of the After Final Consideration Pilot Program, “AFCP 2.0.” The new version expires on September 30, 2013 and has three main differences from the 1.0 version. You can find full information at http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/sol/og/2013/week24/TOC.htm#ref11 .
AIPLA – the profession’s national organization – see AIPLA.org
- On August 22-23, 2013 the AIPLA Practical Patent Prosecution Training for New Lawyers happens in Alexandria, Virginia.
- AIPLA will hold its 2013 Electronic & Computer Patent Law Summit on August 27, 2013 in San Jose, Calif.
- The next Chisum Patent Academy sessions are in Seattle on July 31 – August 2, 2013 and August 5-7, 2013. www.chisumpatentacademy.com.
For more information about any of the patent topics mentioned consult Patent Application Practice. Trademark topics are discussed in Trademark Registration Practice. Both are published by West and updated twice a year. For litigation questions, contact Fred Douglas at 949/293-0442 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.