This column highlights some of the more notable recent internet notices, newsletters and blogs dealing with IP prosecution issues.
- On October 14, 2014, Hal discussed the recent Federal Circuit opinion, Robert Bosch, LLC v. Snap-On, Inc., _ F.3d __(Fed. Cir., October 14, 2014) affirming invalidity of claims under 35 U.S.C. § 112(b) regarding means-defined elements.
- The October 21, 2014 post described the finding in Iris Corp. v. Japan Airlines Corp., _ F.3d __ (Fed. Cir. 2014)(Hughes, J.) that affirmed dismissal of patentee’s infringement suit alleging that Japan Airlines committed infringement by checking electronic passports as the allegedly infringing acts were carried out for the government under 28 U.S.C. § 1498(a).
IPWatchdog – a patents and patent law blog IPWatchdog.com
Patent Docs – a patent blog – patentdocs.typepad.com/patent_docs
- The October 6, 2014 guest post introduces the Purple Book, FDA’s list of biologically produced drugs, commonly called “biologics.” The question posed is: Will purple become the new orange?
Patently-O – a blog written by Dennis Crouch – www.patentlyo.com.
- On October 2, 2014 Professor Crouch discussed the double patenting concerns when there is one common assignee but no common inventors.
- The October 21, 2014 post talks about proving non-obviousness with post-filing experimental evidence.
- A chart on November 2, 2014 plotted the demise of “whereby” clauses in independent patent claims.
USPTO – the PTO’s website uspto.gov
- The September 16, 2014 USPTO email reminded the public of the Glossary Pilot Program expires in December 2014. More information available at www.uspto.gov/news/pr/2014/14-08.jsp.
- McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert & Berghoff LLP offers a webinar entitled, “PTAB Invalidity Proceedings – Lessons Learned in the First Two Years” on November 20, 2014. More information at this link.
- The Chisum Patent Academy holds an upcoming patent law seminar on March 5-6, 2015 (Cincinnati, Ohio). There are a possible 12 CLE credits for this seminar. More info here.
- Third Annual Naples Midwinter Patent Experts Conference, the Naples Beach Hotel & Golf Club, February 7-10, 2015, Naples, Florida, under auspices of the Akron Law IP Program. For conference information, contact Shannon F. Aupprele via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about any of the patent topics mentioned consult Patent Application Practice. Trademark topics are discussed in Trademark Registration Practice. Both are published by West and updated twice a year. For litigation questions, contact Fred Douglas at 949/293-0442 or by email at email@example.com.