This column highlights some of the more notable recent internet notices, newsletters and blogs dealing with IP prosecution issues.
Hal Wegner’s email newsletter – a lot of great stuff – Contact: email@example.com.
Hal’s blog is also available at www.laipla.net/news-blog/blog.
- On November 7, 2013, Hal’s email newsletter discussed a “tour de force” analysis of complex claim construction issues in Bayer Cropscience AG v. Dow Agrosciences LLC, 728 F.3d 1324 (Fed. Cir. 2013) (Taranto, J.).
- On November 9, 2013, Hal linked to Commil USA v. Cisco Sys., Inc., 720 F.3d 1361 (Fed. Cir. 2013) discussing the need for a new patent infringement trial due to trial counsel’s repeated anti-Semitic remarks to the jury.
IPWatchdog – a patents and patent law blog – IPWatchdog.com
- The November 14, 2013 guest post discusses Supreme Court arguments on the burden of proof for declaratory judgment of non-infringement.
Patent Docs – A patent blog – patentdocs.typepad.com/patent_docs
- The November 12, 2013 blog takes to task some journalists’ perpetuation of misconceptions of the patent system to criticize of a specific patent related to podcasting.
- On November 18, 2013 Andrew Williams reports on the first inter parties review opinion on the merits by the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. The patent challenger won. Case IPR2012-00001, Garmin USA, Inc. (Petitioner) v. Cuozzo Speed Technologies LLC (Patent Owner).
Patently-O – a blog written by Dennis Crouch – www.patentlyo.com.
- Professor Crouch discussed the current state of patent exhaustion as demonstrated in the recent case, LifeScan v. Shasta Tech. (Fed. Cir. 2013) in his November 6, 2013 post.
- On November 7, 2013, a guest post by Professor Jorge L. Contreras compared the various proposed patent law amendments.
- A November 12, 2013 guest post explained an empirical study of patent holders as litigants (it is about “trolls”).
- The December 3, 2013 post announced that the USPTO has extended the After Final Consideration Pilot 2.0 program to end on September 30, 2014.
USPTO – the PTO’s website – uspto.gov
- The November 19, 2013 press release (Press Release 13-33) announced the selection of San Jose City Hall as the location for the Silicon Valley Satellite Office for the USPTO.
- The December 3, 2013 Official Gazette announced that rule changes to implement the Patent Law Treaty become effective December 18, 2013.
AIPLA – the profession’s national organization – see AIPLA.org
- From January 29, through February 1, 2014, the AIPLA holds its Mid-Winter Institute in Phoenix, Arizona.
- The Chisum Patent Academy holds upcoming patent law seminars on March 5-7, 2014 (Cincinnati, Ohio); August 13-15, 2014 (Seattle, Washington); and August 18-20, 2014 (Seattle, Washington). More info at http://www.chisum-patent-academy.com/.
- “Patent Infringement Litigation Summit” on December 9-10, 2013 in San Francisco. See http://patentdocs.typepad.com/files/patent-infringement-litigation-summit.pdf for more information.
For more information about any of the patent topics mentioned consult Patent Application Practice. Trademark topics are discussed in Trademark Registration Practice. Both are published by West and updated twice a year. For litigation questions, contact Fred Douglas at 949/293-0442 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.