This column highlights some of the more notable recent online notices, newsletters, and blogs dealing with IP prosecution issues.
IPWatchdog – a patent law blog – IPwatchdog.com
- On June 27, 2019, Burman York “Bud” Mathis III provided his opinion that the Supreme Court’s June 24, 2019 refusal to grant cert of the Federal Circuit SAP America, Inc. v. Investpic, LLC, 898 F.3d 1161 (Fed. Cir. 2018) (Details here.) spelled the “death for most software patent applications.” (Full details.)
Patently-O – a blog written by Dennis Crouch – www.patentlyo.com.
- In a July 15, 2019 post, Professor Dennis Crouch discussed Samsung v. InfoBridge, No. 2018-2007, 2018-2012 (Fed. Cir., July 12, 2019) (PDF) wherein distribution of a working draft to a 250-member standard setting working group was not considered sufficiently publicly accessible for prior art purposes. (Full details.)
OC Patent Lawyer – a blog written by James Yang, patent attorney – www.ocpatentlawyer.com
- On July 6, 2019, Mr. Yang posted an article stating the advantages and disadvantages of filing a continuation-in-part application. (Full details).
United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) – uspto.gov
- In July 2019 the USPTO published a second update (PDF) to the America Invents Act (AIA) Trial Practice Guide (PDF) providing guidance about trial practice before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). Details on the contents of the 2019 update is provided here.
AIPLA – the profession’s national organization – see AIPLA.or
- AIPLA will hold its 2019 Annual Meeting October 24-26, 2019 in Washington, D.C. More information on this meeting and other events is available here.
For more information about any of the patent topics mentioned consult Patent Application Practice. Trademark topics are discussed in Trademark Registration Practice. Both are published by West and updated twice a year. For patent prosecution or litigation questions, contact Fred Douglas at 949/293-0442 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.