This column highlights some of the more notable recent internet notices, newsletters and blogs dealing with IP prosecution issues.
IPWatchdog – a patents and patent law blog – ipwatchdog.com .
- The February 8, 2017 post was based on U.S. Senator Chris Coons’ keynote speech delivered at a conference called “The Supreme Court’s Section 101 Jurisprudence: Dangers for the Innovation Economy,” on December 7, 2016. Details here.
- The February 21, 2017 post by Gene Quinn and Steve Brachmann, “Time to Patent Invalidity Decisions on Rocket Docket Calls Value of PTAB Into Question” compares the options of appealing USPTO decisions in the Eastern District of Virginia versus at the PTAB. Details here.
- In a March 6, 2017 post, James Yang provided a patent drafting tip illustrating how a comma may affect the meaning of items in a list. Details here. James Yang also publishes his own patent blog for innovators and businesses in Orange County, California – OC Patent Lawyer .
Patently-O – a blog written by Dennis Crouch – www.patentlyo.com .
- In the March 8, 2017 post, Professor Crouch discusses Intellectual Ventures v. Erie Indemnity, 2016-1128, 2016-1132 (Fed. Cir., Mar. 7, 2017) (PDF details here) specifically how defects in an assignment document resulted in a failed transfer of ownership, scuttling the related patent infringement claims. Details here.
Patent Docs – A patent blog – patentdocs.typepad.com/patent_docs
- On February 7, 2017 Donald Zuhn considered the USPTO’s January 12, 2017 Federal Register notice (PDF Details here) seeking public comments on whether the accelerated examination program should be discontinued. Details here.
- The Chisum Patent Academy holds upcoming patent law seminars in Seattle, Washington on August 10-11, 2017 and August 14-15, 2017 respectively (two identical seminars). There will be a Washington, D.C. seminar in the fall of 2017. There are a possible 18 CLE credits for these seminars. Each seminar is limited to ten attendees. More info here.
For more information about any of the patent topics mentioned consult Patent Application Practice. Trademark topics are discussed in Trademark Registration Practice. Both are published by West and updated twice a year. For litigation questions, contact Fred Douglas at 949-293-0442 or by email at email@example.com.