This column highlights some of the more notable recent online notices, newsletters, and blogs dealing with IP prosecution issues.
Patently-O – a blog written by Dennis Crouch – www.patentlyo.com.
- On March 5, 2020, Professor Crouch discussed a new Federal Register notice 85 FR 12222 (Details here.)
- On March 15, 2020, Professor Crouch made plots of data relating to the percentage of pending published AIA patent applications. (Details here.)
United States Patent and Trademark Office – The U.S. agency for patents and trademark registrations – uspto.gov
- On March 16, 2020, the USPTO closed all offices to the public. No extensions are granted categorically due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Details here.
- On March 16, 2020, the USPTO offered relief to patent and trademark applicants, patentees, and trademark owners affected by the coronavirus outbreak. Certain petition fees are waived, but no extensions of dates or waivers of requirements set by statute are available. PDF here.
- All in-person meetings, interviews, and oral hearings scheduled to be held at USPTO offices will now be conducted remotely by video or telephone, until further notice. Parties will receive further instructions in advance of the interview, hearing, or meeting. Details here.
- On March 19, 2020, the USPTO waived any requirements for original handwritten signatures due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Details here.
- One may keep apprised as to the status of USPTO events, cancellations, and postponements, at Details here.
AIPLA – the profession’s national organization – see AIPLA.org
- AIPLA previously planned to hold its 2020 Spring Meeting on May 6-8, 2019 in San Antonio, Texas. Tentatively, the event will be held online. More information on this meeting and other events is available here..
The Chisum Patent Academy will hold one seminar in 2020, in Boston, Massachusetts on October 1-2, 2020. More information available here..
For more information about any of the patent topics mentioned consult Patent Application Practice. Trademark topics are discussed in Trademark Registration Practice. Both are published by West and updated twice a year. For patent prosecution or litigation questions, contact Fred Douglas at 949/293-0442 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.