This column highlights some of the more notable recent internet notices, newsletters and blogs dealing with IP prosecution issues.
- On January 7, 2014, Hal commented Ex parte Gross, (PTAB 2014)(Mantis Mercader, J.)(non-precedential), which reversed a 35 U.S.C. § 112(b) rejection based on the “and/or” disjunctive/conjunction.
- In his January 18, 2014 post, Hal discussed the 1.3 million pending case backlog at the USPTO.
- On January 27, 2014, Professor Wegner mentioned a federal register notice that proposes strict reporting requirements of ownership interests in patent applications and patents. Public comments are due March 25, 2014.
OC TechInnovation Blog – an on-going list of Orange County technological innovations by Bruch Itchkawitz– octechinnovation.com
- On January 6, 2014, the blog featured data indicating that the number of U.S. patents in Orange County increased in 2013.
Patent Docs – A patent blog – patentdocs.typepad.com/patent_docs
- The December 16, 2013 blog entry describes the USPTO final rules to implement the Patent Law Treaty (PLT), taking effect December 18, 2013. One effect of the PLT is that no claims are necessary to obtain a filing date for non-provisional patent applications.
- On January 22, 2014, Andrew Williams discussed Medtronic, Inc. v. Mirowski Family Ventures, LCC (2014) wherein the Supreme Court ruled on the burden of proof for infringement in declaratory judgment actions.
Patently-O – a blog written by Dennis Crouch – www.patentlyo.com.
- A January 7, 2014 post explains an emerging downward trend in the percent of patents obtaining patent term adjustment.
- A January 22, 2014 guest post by Professor Sarah Burstein discussed Pacific Coast Marine Windshields, Ltd. v. Malibu Boats, LLC (Fed Cir. 2014) finding that prosecution history estoppel applies to design patents.
USPTO – the PTO’s website – uspto.gov
- The December 3, 2013 Official Gazette announced that rule changes to implement the Patent Law Treaty become effective December 18, 2013.
AIPLA – the profession’s national organization – see AIPLA.org
- AIPLA’s Spring Meeting happens May 15-17, 2014 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. More information at aipla.org.
- The Chisum Patent Academy holds upcoming patent law seminars on March 5-7, 2014 (Cincinnati, Ohio); August 13-15, 2014 (Seattle, Washington); and August 18-20, 2014 (Seattle, Washington). There are a possible 18 CLE credits for these seminars. The Cincinnati seminar will include active inducement, method and system claims, joint infringement, injunctive relief, patent malpractice, and more. More info at http://www.chisum-patent-academy.com/.
For more information about any of the patent topics mentioned consult Patent Application Practice. Trademark topics are discussed in Trademark Registration Practice. Both are published by West and updated twice a year. For litigation questions, contact Fred Douglas at 949/293-0442 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.